Postpartum Doula: The Mother’s Mother
Happy Newborns’ Experienced Postpartum Doulas Support and Nurture New Moms
Newborn Care Specialists, Night Nannies and Newborn Care Providers Provide Helpful Newborn Support
Because Happy Newborns caters to the diverse needs of today’s families, in addition to Baby Nurses, we offer certified, well trained and experienced Postpartum Doulas, a ‘mother’s mother’ or ‘mother’s helper’. While Baby Nurses focus primarily on newborn care, Postpartum Doulas ensure the comfort of mom while providing some baby care, transitioning mom gently from pregnancy to motherhood.
Happy Newborns’ Postpartum Doulas undergo rigorous screening that includes background checks, extensive face-to-face interview and reference checks. In addition to their own training and experience, our Postpartum Doulas must also attend the Happy Newborns ethics and professionalism class and pass a written test.
Postpartum Doulas Offer Many Benefits to Ensure Support for Mom and Baby
- Information for mom, dad and other family members regarding infant care
- Mom is fed, well hydrated, comfortable and emotionally supported to ensure healing.
- Support and guidance in breastfeeding
- Assistance with aspects of baby care including bottle preparation, diaper changing, feeding, swaddling, infant massage and bathing. A Postpartum Doula has basic understanding of a baby’s needs—physical, emotional and behavioral—including experience with multiples and preemies.
- Light household assistance including meal preparation, errands, laundry and tidying up
- Watchful eye for maternal postpartum depression and support for mother (and baby) should it arise
- Assistance in reducing postpartum anxiety, frustration, fatigue, uncertainty and overwhelm
- Getting mom and dad back to work sooner with greater confidence and rest
- Ease the bonding between baby and various members of the household, including sibling care
- Provide local resources for postpartum support and classes
Flexibility in Scheduling a Postpartum Doula
Similar to our Newborn Care Specialist scheduling, Happy Newborns’ experienced Postpartum Doulas accommodate the flexibility in scheduling desired by modern families. We offer day, night or live-in Postpartum Doulas for a few days up to several months.
Postpartum Doula services can be complemented with Happy Newborns’ various Newborn Consultation Services like sleep training, multiples skills training, preemie or special needs care, reflux or colic assistance and putting baby on a schedule. They can also be part of our step down continuum of care in conjunction with Night Nurses for babies.